I'm a mom...so what else is new?

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Daily Devotions

I have to say that my walk with God could be closer....there's always room for inprovement, but there's not always time. I have, though, found a daily devotional that I enjoy a lot. Some days I don't always get to it, but the days that I do get to it, I catch myself up...the passages are just so good, they make you laugh, they make you think, they make you want to be closer to God. The whole reason for a daily devotion is to be closer to God, so it must be working.
A few months ago I went to a Women of Faith convention with a group of ladies. I went with the intention of having this huge life changing experience. I think that's what I've expected all along...you hear these stories of what God have pulled people out of or healed them from. Well, that's not me...and there wasn't a huge life changing experience...it was a wonderful weekend with tons of insights and it was nice to be away from my kids and be with my friend. I came away from the weekend kinda disappointed though. Dave went to Promise Keepers one year and came home energized and ready to take on anything. I came back in the working mode. What I mean by that is that God was working with me and I was working things through my head. I let myself get in the way of God...I do that a lot. I tried to have this great experience and didn't allow God to work in me the way He may have wanted to. Not to say he didn't, I think he did. He put something inside of me....a deep yearning for something more.
I've been to the altar I don't even know how many times since that conference, still asking God to give me relief from this yearning. I don't know if it will ever be satisfied, but it's a process. Maybe it's just me and my walk, but I'm coming to terms with the fact that there is NOTHING I can do to satisfy what my heart desires. Nothing in this world can satisfy that. So in my search for something more, the daily devotions help. Sure they somethings are weekly devotions, but that's me getting in the way again. Gotta put God first...because there is always gonna be something that comes up, regardless.
Here's Sept. 1st devotion......it's about VITALITY. (I really liked this one)

I have come that you may have life, and have it to the full. -- John 10:10

Someone asked me how I have so much energy, more vitality than anyone he know. I told him that it isn't me who has all that zest, it's the Lord. I simply love life! Each day is another day to live life to the fullest.

People have asked my daughter, "Is your mother full of life all the time?"
"Yes," she says. "It makes me sick. I can't even have a bad day."

But who really wants to have a bad day? Someone who doesn't have a life. I guess.

Vitality is the infusion you receive:

When you are fully aware of who you are--and whose you are.
Whenyou know how to make lemonade out of the lemons of life.
When you learn how to share yourself and your possessions with others, expecting nothing in return.
When you understand real wealth.

When you really care about others.
When you can laugh at yourself and this crazy life.
When you have a vision, a personal mission, and a passion for life.
When you have a hope.
When you are honest and trustworthy.
When you know how to pursue good and resist evil.
When you learn not to worry.
When you keep a song in your heart.
When you quickly get over your mistakes.
When you treat other people better than you treat yourself.
When you live in the present, not agonizing over the past or anxiously anticipating the future.
When you trust in the Lord with all your heart.
When you let his strength be perfected in your weakness.

May you receive an abundant infusion of vitality as autumn leaves start to fall!!

---Thelma Wells

1 Comments:

  • At 5:40 PM, Blogger Kim said…

    Just because I don't comment, doesn't mean that I am not reading. Thanks for letting us come over today and for being there for me this week...I really appreciate it.

    BTW...let Dave know that I commented on his blog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home